The Whiteboard initiative, developed jointly by the WBCA and the National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administrators (NACWAA) goes beyond X's & O's to provide coaches of women's basketball with a professional education and personal growth opportunity. The Whiteboard framework is flexible and can be tailored to fit a specific host and audience. At the same time it provides a structure and the resources needed to be successful.
The initiative is a grassroots effort with WBCA member coaches volunteering to serve as hosts inviting coaches in the surrounding area to participate. This is a close-to-home and low-cost opportunity for growth and development in leadership, most likely in a small group setting - think off-season conditioning.
The initiative is built on a number of key elements:
• Values - exploring personal values
• Culture -building the culture you want in your basketball program
• Communications - understanding communication styles
• Leadership -growing your staff and student-athletes
• Motivation - Finding motivation through work/life balance, planning and self study.
The WBCA and NACWAA adhered to two important concepts in creating Whiteboard:
• It needed to provide coaches with a real and worthwhile professional development and growth opportunity - to take their leadership skills to the next level.
• It had to be flexible. Whiteboard provides an outline with abundant supporting resources but allows each host coach and the group to take the program in their own direction. The WBCA and NACWAA simply provide a game plan that can be customized to the focus of the session.
Participation in Whiteboard is open to anyone interested in women's basketball; however, the host must be a WBCA member.
Interested in hosting a Whiteboard session? Click here
Interested in attending a Whiteboard session? Check the listing of Whiteboard sessions that are open on the calendar page. If there isn't one in your area, consider hosting a session yourself to build your own local network.